Pages

Dubai - More Expensive to Visit / Live

Just heard the news that the Dubai Visit Visa costs have been raised starting 1st June'08. There is a short visit (1 month) visa costing 500AED as compared to 110 I think earlier and a long term visit costing 1000AED. This is crazy...

Obviously, they are unable to manage the high influx of people and I believe that is one way to get less and still earn the same. It could also be that they think it costs the government more to manage each visiting family member. There is a separate Tourist Visa,
which I have no idea what is when compared to the above because that costs 100AED. This could be the loophole which a lot of people will use to bring in family members on tourist visa as well.

The bottom line is that with VAT (Value Added Tax) also coming in January 2009, lots of people are re-thinking their futures in Dubai. VAT will affect the producers of goods directly and they will surely transfer it to the consumer which will add to the already increasing prices due to inflation. The inflation has risen 20% from last year according to a survey.

The salary is still tax-free and no near plans to change that so its still better than a lot other places around the world but it is becoming the places to be and the government in all rights can earn as much as they want from it.

I just hope, our salaries keep increasing considering the same. Its a struggle to be the best and either you get the movement up on the corporate ladder or you get the correct increments to make your stay away from home worthwhile.

10 comments:

  1. Seems like every possible place in my to-go listis having a price hike :\

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats totally insane really ... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that I arrived before the price hike :-D Btw wasn't the cost supposed to be raised in July? I think I read that in Khaleej Times. Nice theme though, exactly what I have :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noooooooooooooo! and we wre planning to visit Dubai after my exams that is in the first week of july, ooh man! this sucks! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. @asma - so it is...the world is heading towards resource-overkill...20 years down the line is scary...

    @maryam - it sure is...but guess what...people can still afford it so it doesn't matter...

    @anas - last I heard it was June...great if its July...i was planning to bring in my dad for a trip...

    @leemz - I hope you have in the piggy bank hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure helps not to have any interest in visiting UAE when reading such stuff, eh?

    And no, grapes aren't sour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got quite a few friends living in Dubai and they all say the same thing. I have heard that Abu Dhabi is becoming a more cost effective place to live in.

    Lets see how I plan my next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @saadat - well yeah...I used to be like that before I came here...

    @jalal - The visas apply to all of UAE so that cost remains...also VAT will apply to all of UAE...rest I guess...rents are the biggest hit on the salary and Abu Dhabi is better currently on that...so yeah...its better in those lines...

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, i hear that too and a lot of people are thinking of finding a better place to live - especially those from India and Pakistan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @kamran - many Indians are headed back home...their economy is booming...too bad we Pakis dont have similar options at the moment...

    ReplyDelete