Pages

The Day when I grew up...

It was back in Grade 6, Karachi High School and the new academic year starting in August 1992. We had moved to the Secondary section by crossing over from Class 5. It was a very small school hence it shouldn't have been a big deal if a 20 odd children moved on to secondary section cos nothing "really" changed. Its not like we moved to another location altogether or a different block.

Of course there was the convocation/graduation ceremony...hehe...yeah we used to have a convocation when we moved (graduated) from KG to 1 and 5 to 6 and then from 10 to moving out of school. 3 convocations in my life at School. Our principal was really interested in seeing kids in their gowns and square caps.

Anyway, going off topic. The biggest change from Grade 5 to Grade 6 was the change in uniform. Long Sleeves and Trousers. It was such a big change to wear trousers even in Summers. I was one of the children with a better than average height and it was embarrassing wearing shorts almost all year long.

The even bigger change...was the TIE. Yes people, this post is about the day I learnt how to TIE the TIE. Tie the knot...umm...no that was much later...how do you say this...? Tie the TIE...ok whatever...

See, with the long sleeves and the trousers came the big switch. Its not really a big change from short sleeve to long sleeve because you still wear the shirt the same way. There is also not a big difference in the switch from shorts to trousers because you wear them the same way. The only difference being that your legs come out much earlier in the shorts than the trouser.

The significant change is the switch from the ELASTIC TIE to the Full TIE. The one that needs the knot. No longer some bully pulling on your elastic tie. No more playing elephant by pulling up the tie to the nose. It was the day, I grew up, a little more.

The first day, when I was going to school in the new wardrobe, I didn't know how to do it. Tie the TIE. My mom didn't either and my father wasn't around, well he usually wasn't around for such little yet important stuff. His work was away from home most time of the year. My sweet mom, tried her best to get some kind of a knot through so that at least it is not embarrassing but couldn't manage. Finally, she said go and learn from one of your friends. Somebody would know.

So, little UTP, all sad but in a crisp new uniform reached school with no TIE around his neck. I was assuming there would many other like me and there were. But there were many other unlike me who actually knew how to do it. Some had really nice triangle (samosas...) knots who had jealous people around them. Girls talked to them more on the day just to talk about how they tie their knot. I mean it was the talk of the day. We were the outsiders cos we didn't know how to look smart.

In comes Abid Nisar. I want to write the name of my best friend (from the school days) here. This guy was a genius, one of those all-rounders. Studies, extra curricular, sports etc. He was in everything and...of course he knew how to get the perfection in tie-knotting. I didn't even have to plead. He knew how I was feeling and he left the swarm of girls around him and came and helped me out. He was patient and taught me the single as well as double knot. Then all I needed was practice and I became pretty good at it in a few days.

And that was the day I grew up. That was what was the actual transition to 6th grade. Learning to tie the knot. I mean...TIE the TIE-KNOT. How do you say this?

I am amazed to end this post by saying what a wonderful feeling of achievement that was. At that time, those were the little achievements that made the day. Those were the little happiness moments that I still cherish. Why has all that changed? I wanted to tie my tie every morning then. I now keep my ties all knotted up and while taking them off I don't break the knot. I don't have time in the morning to spend time in making a tie knot. I wonder why? When it was one of the most important things to do back then.

Similar was learning how to tie shoelaces...but I ll keep that story for another day. I ll give you a preview though...I DIDNT learn...heheh. I went for the Velcro shoes almost all through school and still avoid laced shoes. But that will be another day and another story.

31 comments:

  1. Gosh ... and I still don't know how to do that! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started wearing a tie that I had to knot by myself in class five.

    I don't, as I didn't back then, like to wear a tie in summers.

    I haven't worn one, except for extremely formal occasions, for a long time now, even in winters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post...its, to "Tie a Tie" :) I never really knew how until much later infact. I had those cheap clip ons. But then I've never worn a uniform to school....ever. It wasn't until I was in my early teens that I really learned how to tie a tie. And I don't even know the names of the different knots! I wear a tie...maybe...once a year now and it takes me a good 5-10 minutes just to get it right. I hate ties :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to tie the knots of my brotyher's ties, and then my classmates', who didn't know how to properly knot a tie *sigh*... And till grade 5, we girls also used to wear elastic ties :D some girls really hated it, but I don't know why I would love wearing one ;) Dinky Mind's stoopid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a really good post UTP..it reminds me of how little things can make significant changes in you..I acquired a best friend for life by just teaching her how to climb trees :D though we stopped climbing trees ages ago but it was the little thing that given me a precious friend..

    Once again, a really good post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in Grade 5, and have still to grow out of it.

    That is, the only knot I learnt to tie was the masoom single knot, and the pakora knot that is in fashion these days totally beats me. Not that I care; I have always created my own fashion statement (which probably started by wearing the tie around my skull during the recess in Grade 5).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother's tie was always crooked in school photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @raza - heheh...and its essential that you learn...you want to know everything to teach your son when the time comes...?

    @sidhusaheb - well we pretty much live in air-conditioners in UAE and hence don't mind looking formal all day...I enjoy wearing them...I think one looks dignified...

    @amir - hehe...I amazed...no tie in school? I don't think I have ever seen such a school...you have to get better dude...its a guy thing...

    @dinkymind - no stoopid at all...women who know how to tie TIEs....make great wives...I think a wife tying the husband's tie knot is one of the most filmy yet beautiful...moments of the day...for both of them...

    @lubz - thanks...I think you are getting biased now...with the FASTIAN effect heheh...relax...you can criticize...

    @saadat - hehhe...yeah I remember that too...the RAMBO days...I hate the HUGE pakora knot in fad these days too...I still like the old-fashioned...double knot...that gives a nice triangle...

    @louise - hehhe...why have I not heard that before?

    ReplyDelete
  9. he left the swarm of girls around him and came and helped me out

    Truly a best friend!:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This brings back memories. In my school, the senior year of primary school had to wear tie the whole year and it was a HUGE adjustment for all of us, but at the same time it was our first glimpse into the "big" world, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hhmmm i need to make behndiyan.... *dont i sound like a typical house wife :( *

    i'll come bck to read the whole post

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm so u miss abid bhai..
    awww...ada the litttle things in life are what one needs and we are surely lacking them...miss u Ada!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only if the husband does not know how to tie a TIE :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! I still cannot tie the knot of a tie:P LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ordinarygirl - you bet heheh...that is the definition...of a best friend...as good a definition as it gets...

    @solace - yup...one does feel grown up...with a tie...until one actually grows up...and then its the norm...

    @khawab - hehhe...its about time...all the best...

    @ghazal - whoever said MISS? Not me...

    @dinkymind - now thats another point altogether and that point has been taken...not all men can forget that they know how to tie it...just to enjoy that moment of romance...

    @unaiza - well...its not really bare necessitites you know...? so no problems...you can always learn...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't grown up yet!! I can recall how my best friend tied the knot of my tie at school and later I managed to keep it that way carefully for one year (i never opened untied that knot)

    I really loved this post, brought back so many childhood memories related with a tie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting post :-D
    I don't remember learning 'tie-a-tie know' or 'shoe laces'(next post covered :-P)..only thing I remember is when I started going to school I used to do it myself...no elastic ties. I guess I was better back then :-D

    Man..you had a real good friend who left the beauties just to tie the knot of the friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @UTP

    Umer bhai can u right an illustrated tutorial to tie a tie (i still don't know how to do it).

    Allah aap ko is ka ajar dai ga ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. meaningful post.
    very touching :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @anas - hehhe...yeah I knew a few people who did that too....the drawback of doing that is...that your tie is spoiled...don't ever try to untie the knot cos it will never be the same...

    @zios - good for you...really good for you...mr know-it-all...we didn't know ok...we were actually children you know heheh....

    @faisal - I will have to find a link on the internet I suppose...

    @eeda - well if you got the gist of it...

    ReplyDelete
  21. women who know how to tie TIEs... make great wives
    really?? :|
    hmm... looks like *somebody* really needs to learn how to tie a tie :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am used to tie the ties of students who enter in the classroom with hanging style or some time without ties with button up shirts to impress girls..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww, how cute Umar bhai =))

    I'm always so fascinated by the idea of knotting the ties .. spent hours and hours with my BigB to teach me how to knot a perfect triangle ... tried never succeeded :S

    But that's the one thing I see on Men for the first time ~ they should have perfect ties :>

    ReplyDelete
  24. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, li'l UTP with his tie issue would have never imagined himself this big now with a beautiful wife & a li'l cute girl to protect from evil eyes :)

    As for me, I think I didn't grow up yet :D For real! I don't know how & don't want to anyways!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i was given ultimatum by my dad to learn how to make a tie or he won't let me come back in home:S
    and believe it or not i think i am still learning the art of making a perfect tie: )

    ReplyDelete
  26. @mayg - that line doesn't say anywhere that those who don't know how to make a tie...do not make a good wife? Chill...

    @aashely - That is all FILUM Industry stuff. What those guys dont understand is that those looks dont really work...

    @asma - now that is what I am talking about...I have observed women ogling at Guys' ties...especially if he has got a very fluffed up...big tie which is in fashion these days...somehow the more the fluff....more money in the bank account as well...

    @sara - yup...way back then...the Tie was the achievement...now...Alhumdulillah....much much more...

    @anIllusion - damn...you haven't been home for ages...you need some quick lessons and go home heheh....free lessons available...from UTP....anything for a good cause...

    ReplyDelete
  27. OK I never thought about money back in banks but fluffs are good :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @asma - one more thing to think about now hehhe...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice, very nice.
    Left me with a feeling of frustration that I probably have still not grown up. I am 42 and still cannot tie a tie-knot. And lost my eagerness to ever learn. So I just avoid the damn thing.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. yes dude.. like I was really getting sleepless nights over this *rolls eyes*

    I should've started with a "this is meant to be sarcastic" disclaimer..

    ReplyDelete
  31. @robert - well dont learn...to...I just realized a new way to stay young...no need for learning to tie the tie-knot heheh...

    @mayg - oh, the awakening...

    ReplyDelete