Pages

What moves me...

I am a very sensitively emotional person. I am very easily inspired. I have been pretty much an introvert for most of my life. There was a recent phase where I deemed to give an impression of a completely open person but it was all an act. I enjoy being a closed box and the little extrovert that people get a glimpse of is just my way of hiding the real me.

Hence, being sensitive, emotional and a natural introvert at the same time leads to being someone who gets moved very easily. It leads to goosebumps, shivers and sometimes even a watery eye or two also. So the other day I thought this could become a great blog post.

A list of things or events or situations that would make me really emotional. So here they are. See if you could relate to the same. This is in no order. Just a random sequence. Enjoy.

- Sufism. Any kind of poetry or verse or music that links this world with the world above. The double meaning poetry that can move you towards the path of right. Which could make you repent and correct your ways. Abida Parveen, Aziz Mian Qawwal top the list for me in this regime.

- Making my parents proud. Who doesn't? I believe that is the greatest achievement in life if one can make his parents feel proud and head held high because of him. I mean you have to feel it to know how it feels. Nothing better.

- Reaching the much awaited goal. Sometimes so much is sacrificed for something and so much waiting is done. Sometimes the result is dependent on someone else's efforts. So a joint team effort where so much was given up individually for a team goal and then you reach it...the team reaches it...

- Patriotism. Representing your country outside the country and doing something good. I have been lucky to actually represent Pakistan in a field of sport when I was very young. Singing your National Anthem while everyone stands and respects it in a foreign country. Anything that reminds me of my roots. Which refreshes the love for my country, moves me.

- Mother of a martyr. The moment of the hearing of news of martyrdom of his son to a mother, always overwhelms me. I have seen enough dramas and movies to enjoy the feeling again and again. Its just takes over my emotions. There is a story in every instant of that emotion. So many words in that quiet solemn look of that mother.

- Overwhelming joy. Sometimes, a much awaited event happens at the right moment of time. That could hit the weakest point of emotions. Tears of joy.

- The innocence of the unaware. Everyone has their own experiences but if I have gone something and learnt my lessons in the hardest possible way. Then I see someone going through the same. They wont listen to my advice just like I didn't. Everyone wants to go through the experience.

- Music really moves me. In fact any kind of creativity moves me. I was watching one programme and on that live program, a poet wrote a few quick yet beautiful lines and a music composer immediately composed it into a beautiful tune. That moved me.

- Related to music only. The true Sur (note) when hit in the saddest of emotion. I do not really understand the raags or science of music but I know that when that particular note is hit either through a singer's voice or sound of a flute or sitar, that moves every bit of me.

- Any kind of creative effort in an art form. A story behind a painting, a classical dance reflecting a story, a stand alone story told by a great narrator such as Zia Mohiuddin.

- The traditional love stories such as Heer Ranjha & Laila Majnoo and the similar lot. The basic emotion of separation of lovers and the agony felt. I am an old-fashioned person and such events move me in the most poetic way possible. The separation, the anxiety and then the meeting back leading to the overwhelming joy as mentioned above. If all of it done in some stage play or music or classical dance...WOAH!!!

I just realized that each one of the above could have made a blog post in its own but I have summarized it under each point. Anyway, this is a new kind of tag [even though I HATE tags]. Try it out, it would make a good keepsakes post to keep in your archive.

22 comments:

  1. hey UTP please update my blog url....its now www.deadpanthoughts.com

    good to see ya alive and blogging :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really had me believe that you are more of an extrovert, in a previous blog-post. How? Well, because you wrote that! :D

    I guess we all are a bit of both, in different proportions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, that first paragraph is. I can get very emotional as well, but for different things. It all depends on circumstance sometimes, could even be a thought passing through my head...totally random! Something that always strikes a nerve is when I look around and take in the sights and contemplate on the wonder and majesty of Allah swt that He has created all this with such beauty and perfection for mankind. Its very humbling :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust me, You're an extrovert compared to an introvert I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haey! dhoka hogya merey saath :| i thought i married an extrovert like myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really surprised to learn that you're an introvert :)
    Things you mentioned, I think we can all relate to it as they make us emotional too at some level as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. People who aren't really introvert call themselves introverts. Why? What is the real definition of an introvert? (okay, I'd google it :P) But still, why does this happen?

    Confused Dinky Mind :$

    lol @ MayG's comment :D Ab se don't act like an introvert :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. @faisalk - good stuff...

    @sidhusaaheb - I did? man I was really in that mode...I guess I am confused as to what I really am...

    @amir - true...sometimes...miracles do move you...especially things which become true or make sense after not doing so when you first read it in the The Holy Book....

    @extiinct - ok...if you say so...do I have a choice of thinking I am an introvert?

    @mayg - hehhe...opposites attract remember? I couldnt be an extrovert...

    @lubz - I surprised myself also considering people actually believed that I am an extrovert...

    @dinky mind - hehhe...dictionary.com is a good resource... and I hate TAGS hhehe...cant you read?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isi liay to tag kia hay :D
    This is a saza for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Dinky Mind - man...dinky mind is stubbornly...persistent...

    ReplyDelete
  11. **The innocence of the unaware

    yeah even i dont lik tags

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am emotionally too numb these days to be moved by anything, but I'll agree: creative works can be huge influences.

    Glad to see another member of the introvert club, by the way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being introvert means that a person gains more energy while being alone rather that with people. So it does not mean that the introvert will be shy and not communicative, but just that an introvert will seek solitude when under stress and with inner conflicts, while an extrovert will re-empower him or herself through interaction with others. I am a rather talkative, open person, work as a trainer and lecturer, therefore all the time interacting with people, yet I am a classical introvert, I need solitude and seek it actively. If I do not get the minimum amount of it (and a minimum amount for me is far more than a maximum amount for a classical extrovert), I go downhill.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing this so sincerely, UTP. I personally relate most with your last instance of what moves you: I have noticed that people coming together, re-establishin contact, opening up and touching each other on a sincere and open level, this is what always touches me at the deepermost level.

    ReplyDelete
  14. inspiration is elusive these days, its not just you, its everyone

    ReplyDelete
  15. lol, so everyones convinced you are not an intovert hehehe
    nice post..
    totally true! making one's parents proud! that one little smile of contentment on their faces is your earning at the end of the day :)

    and o ya sufi music. i really cant understand every word of the qalam that abida parveen sings but it surely touches a chord with you

    ReplyDelete
  16. @joie - I liked that one myself...innocence of the unaware...

    @saadat - so true...people strive for inspiration...and sometimes since I am aware I can get inspired by the above stuff....I tend to find it...that is artificial but its like a drug sometimes...

    @robert - it was a sincere post...every post is...sometimes I wonder if I should be as open as I am...but then...I get too busy writing...

    @tazeen - true that...

    @mubi - introvert/extrovert...just something to write and get attention heheh...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The last one to comment on a post, as usual. Nice blog. :) Got here via Amir's blogroll.

    I like the part about doing parents and your country proud.

    In the past, i've represented my country too, and believe me, there is no way to put the feeling of 'First prize, team Pakistan' into words. Omg, its still giving me goosebumps!

    *rub away goose bumps*

    MayG's comment is super cute.

    Liked your blog and will be back for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. @specs - If I were a last comment on a post, I would have written, I like to have the last say...as I would again after this comment :)

    Welcome and good to see someone who has done something on the same lines of representing Pakistan in competition...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting post.

    We are all moved and motivated by various factors. It is important to remain the master of whatever moves us, instead of becoming its slaves. For, 'It is with our passion, as it is with fire and water; they are good servants but bad masters'

    Regarding introversion, I somewhat agree with Robert. And Umair, you might like to try the MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) test of Isabel Briggs Myers to find what your personality type is. Mine is INTP (Introverted Thinking with Extroverted Intuition), and I have a feeling you got the same type.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @irfan - absolutely...firstly know the stuff that moves you...then use it for whenever you need some kind of inspiration...I do that all the time...for example I have a list of movies to watch whenever I need it...the Rocky Series is a given any of such days...

    ReplyDelete
  21. UTP bhai what an artistic person you are to like all such stuff :)

    There was a phase when I secretly used to like qawalis of Aziz Miyan too ... I still do ... a few tunes specially. It takes one to know the depth.

    ReplyDelete