Pages

Remembering friends via NICKNAMES

Ever wondered how many Nicknames we had around us when we were in university or school. I don't know how many of the people who come read here have gone through the university level but I think the majority have or are going through it. For those who haven't as yet, this post is something to look forward to in your lives. Nicknames are something that become easy to remember names and you also feel cool if you have a nickname. Today, I will dedicate this post to the great nicknames of people I had around me at my university or school level. Read further and enjoy,

UTP - Of course it starts with me. Sammity Sam, Robot, Jheenga, Chitta, KK, Towel, ShamsooBaba, Kawwa, Bha (Chaddi), Qazi, Kamany, Choudhary, ZeeZee, Mama, Quetta, Chacha, AslamBhai, Baba, Ghora, BaaziKabootar, Kakajani, Bambi, Dexter, Denver, Choops, Fido, Faddo, Nikka, Kami, Etchkoobi, Fadi, Commandoo, Zubbee....

Its amazing, the names we can come up with and they stay forever. You can actually forget their real names.

It becomes embarrassing for the ones like Towel for example who I actually met in a mall while he was with some international office colleagues. The poor guy blushed when I said TOWEL...how are you man? He mumbled...use my name, use my name...and honestly it took a while to remember his real name...

Another case was when I called up Jheenga at his office and it suddenly hit me during the first ring that what if hedoesnt pick up? What would I say....I want to talk to Jheenga....heheh...thank God it was him who picked up and saved the day....

I was lucky I got a sober nickname which was actually given by a teacher & friend of mine. So UTP almost sounds like a brand name...hehehe I wish...it were....I could be making enough money....to buy that Mercedes convertible I have my eyes on hehehe....but you never know...it might just become a brand name in the future...it has the ring & rhyme to it...no lack of potential here...

10 comments:

  1. Haha, you have brought really good memories back. After reading this article it brought a smile on my face. Its true it has happened to me as well. I called him at home and I asked for " Pappi " on which a female responses " JEEEE?!?!?" and it took me a couple of minutes to recall his actual name. HAHA....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did you put the poor guy's name TOWEL... *sigh* I got some funny ones either :P And it's so true... you forget the names after some time :-P

    I see you added me to your blogroll :-) I'll be adding you too ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true..... We too used to call our friends in our school by their nicknames and sometimes used to forget what his/her actual name was ........... :-D

    I havent been to a University yet, but will be starting this year Inshallah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Err ........ Almost forgot, We even used to talk about our teachers among ourselves by their nicknames, ofcourse given by us .... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My colleague(my partner in gossip) and I have given nicknames to almost all at office and the funniest of them all is "chawani" :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @newbie - hehe...PAPPI...now thats a good one...it would have been even more hilarious if it was a guy on the other end than a woman hehhe..

    @bbZush - there are long stories behind each name...and sometimes we forget as to why we kept it...but I remember Towel's story...(I think) but not sharing...no chance of sharing...spoiling reputations of any of my friends...

    @maryam - I think most universities keep their professors names on initials...thats a good way to avoid an embarassing nickname given from students...

    @fariha - chawani? man....that's more complex than a real name...but I am sure there is a story behind it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like giving people nicknames for fun sake but thanksfully in my family my parents never supported serious nicknames. It maligns one's own name at times like jheenga and towel u've mentioned :)

    What does UTP stands for?? BTW - my nicknames in family cant be reproduced :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got this habit while studying at FAST :) and know know Umer Bhai! we got embrassed at many occasions because of this thing :(. Your "Jheenga" example says all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol. We used to do tht even in Junior high and HS as well. n university life? seems like forever.

    the nicknames are jst amazingly funny and its funny everytime you say tht name or call the person w/ tht nickname...its like flashback because you rem. how, where, and why tht nickname came abt.

    I've got millions of nicknames. All of them are awesome except motti :s. Everyone used to call me motti in childhood 'coz I was a chubby kid and nw, its other way around, lol. The other day my brother called me motti in front of some acquaintance n he was laughing his a** off n he was like plz ! lafz motti ki insult mat karo! Also, I go by Sunny ...and everyone or mostly ppl think, its only a guy nickname which aint true & there was this one guy who was doing modeling for one of my fashion shows n my friends introduced him to me saying...you've to go and meet Sunny. So...he came and he's looking for me n I'm like..so you're flana dinga? he's like yea w/ qs mark face and I'm like....what! u were supposed to meet me. He's like...I'm waiting for Sunny. And its funny...hw tht time I was busy n it dint occured to me at all & I got all upset tht Mr. if u're interested in modeling then kool or else plz dnt waste my time. And he's like...mam! who ever u'r - Im supposed to meet Sunny Sahab who wants to c me for modeling. And tht "Sunny Sahab" jst cracked me n then Im like...Ohhhhh! okay...actually, main hee wo Sunny Sahab hoon! lol.

    Nicknames tht I gave to my best girlfriends and I still call them by these names: Pita bread, Paajee, Kanta behan, Babli, Kashori laalji, Aaalo, Basanti, Rach, Fat ma, etc etc !!

    But the best nickname...I've got is from dad and its Kharatou :D ! I love it ! Jeez ! these damn nickname remind me of all the good times and I want to go back n relive them ! sigh! but Im soo writing a note abt it...nicknames - thks for the idea ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha goin thru ma uni,i cn so relate to it!

    ReplyDelete