Pages

Internet Transactions - Overcoming the Fear

I have never been a person who would go and buy stuff on-line. With e-commerce developing all around us and many of us bloggers using many ways to refer people to various products to be bought on-line, I thought it was a good time to write how I overcame my fear of Internet transactions.

Getting a Credit Card

Its natural being someone with a bit of IT background to be a bit apprehensive about Credit Cards. Knowing that how easy it is to pick up a Credit Card number and (mis)use it on-line. Firstly, it's very recent that I got my first credit card. I was recommended by a good friend of mine with similar apprehensions about the Non-Islamic concept of Credit Cards. It took a long time before we both agreed that we will not live on credit and not let interest be charged to us. Pay the bills as they come or even before the due date. We will only keep it for an emergency. That got me buying a free for life credit card. I was quick to realize the benefits of it. An ease of mind that a medical emergency will not make me go around borrowing money from anybody. To-date I keep a credit card to save me from those situations.

Making my First Transaction On-line

Ok so what if I have a credit card. I am not going to give my number away on a website which could easily be mis-used by someone else. No way. Whats the safety of it? If anybody knows me a bit, I could be the most pessimistic person in the world. I spoke to my bank and how they can protect me from such situations. I had no intentions to use it on-line, just wanted to get a feeler. There were lots of options such as spending a monthly fee for insurance of any unforeseen misuse . That didn't go well with me. But they also told me that we could call you every time when you make a transaction to confirm. Now that sounded a little more comfortable. So every time my card is used on-line, somebody from the bank will call to confirm. Much much comfortable.

I made my first transaction for an on-line exam. A safe transaction and they did call to confirm. I am much at ease now. Then I made another transaction to get something else on-line and they didn't call. I got worried. Next time I used my credit card at a grocery, it didn't work. I called them to find out whats wrong. They said, we had blocked it as you made an on-line transaction. Another kind of confirmation to avoid misuse. I got back to my ease mode. They are taking care of any misuse on my card.

Most banks now also offer a limit on which they would call you, a maximum limit and anything that you can think of to make your on-line transactions safe and secure. Some banks also have a specific card only to be used for Internet Transactions. This card, you can keep at home as you cant swipe it. Low limits on these ones. No chance of someone snatching it etc.

Learning a lot more about it, I am still very careful while using my credit card on-line. You have to know where you are using it. Avoid phishing gimmicks and use your credit card on better known websites like Amazon, Ebay, etc. I don't think its as bad as it sounds and all this coming from a person who was apprehensive about the concept in the first place, I think it says a lot about the improvement in safety & security of it as of today.

Once the apprehension is gone, you suddenly realize how much ease you are at. Buy stuff, get deals, gain bonus points. The bank & credit company gains as well. Its a detailed topic which I will write on to give you an idea as to whats the benefit to them. But it is a mutual gain, I can guarantee you.

Its all about how you use it and not get dependent on it. Don't build credit on it, just gain a wider option for buying something you want.

8 comments:

  1. wow dude... i must have paid more than $100,000 to credit card companies so far... i have had at least 10 credit cards so far, and i carry a sizable amount of credit card debt at any given time. Do I regret it? maybe a little about the way I used the credit cards, but i don't regret having one. It's a learning process. Getting the most out of your credit card is an art that only few people are familiar with. Your credit card has a rewards program, and you can take great advantage of it (eg free airline tickets (maybe not so attractive to you since you work for an airline, but you get the point)) if you know how to optimize your credit card use. I am not an expert, still learning, but there is a great potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it the case with everything new techno-wise (or relatively new)?

    I remember the times when microwave made a mainstream entry ... almost every man, woman, kid knew harmful effects and now we cant imagine our lives without it :-)

    So you are comfortable with CC usage ... can i borrow the number for COMPLTELY Secure sites as ebay or amazon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!
    CC also contains some innovative features like if it support some wave technology, usually when you go for shoping then you have to slide your card with machine, but if it has this feature you just face your card infront of machine, no need of slide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hate credit cards, debit cards etc, i v seen people running into huge debts over iem. And can become an aid in hand, if one has compulsive shopping tendency. but as umar said, one should know how to use, rather than it using you. i snipped my 1st and last one in tiny snippets and threw it away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good, credit cards are the way to go... i can understand your concern about phishing sites, but ebay can be brutal as well.. make sure to check out the feedback of the sellers before buying anything ... also, as a starter using paypal should be your safe bet... paypal makes is relatively easy for getting refunds..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not of age yet to have a credit card :P But I think when I do have one... (If would be the word)... I'd take me time to have enough confidence to buy something online :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @umarindxb - I think if all people were like me....these credit card companies will go out of business...

    @asma - thats true actually....but I guess we do eventually realize the benefit and start using it...human nature...i guess...

    @syed tayyab - I dont think that would add much value but from a techie gimmick ok...it will raise a WOW!!!

    @tanzilla - It does have its benefit ....as I mentioned...you have no dependency on someone in case of serious emergency....I use it for that...only...I dont live on credit at all...get a free for life one....from somewhere....

    @ali - thats great advice...I think thats the right way to go about it too....

    @bbzush - its human nature as asma said...but we do eventually overcome it....these guys are working hard to keep it as secure as possible...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i agrre. it is very important for people to know how to use it before getting one. i've seen sooo many ppl accruing debt on them and then loosing their job only to realize they cant maintain a minimum payment either. i think much of it comes from acknowledging and affirming that we wont live beyond our means - and not compete with the social status of our friends etc. it also helps us value our social circle for who they are and not what they own. i think living debt free has one too many perks, alhamdolillah!

    ReplyDelete