Pages

SKYFIRE - The Next Best Mobile Browser

I think I have found it. After trying out different mobile browsers including Opera Mobile, Opera Mini, IE (sucks) & Minimo, I think I have found what works for me. SKYFIRE!!

I mean just the name does it, doesn't it? Hehe...

No really. Speed matters a lot when u r trying to transit over to the mobile way of browsing from the traditional PC way and I have found SKYFIRE as the fastest option available to date. I was reading about it and found out that they concentrated on this particular aspect of speedy browsing and have found a solution by re-routing traffic through a US-based proxy server by default. This works great as the speed has drastically improved. It is even faster than OPERA Mini, which was boasting the speed game as of now.

Skyfire is going to compete with Opera Mini as it is basically the Mobile browser which becomes your main browser on your Mobile. It is not in the league of Opera Mobile as it doesn't have tabbed browsing which Opera Mini doesn't either and hence that is not the direct competition. Mozilla is coming up with the Mobile Firefox version to join the party but no news on that one as yet which should compete with all of em.



Skyfire is the new thing as it covers all previous issues faced by Mobile Browsers like content viewing such as Youtube and also comes as a non-java midlet as compared to Opera Mini. You can view the website as you would on your PC with the option of a Mobile version as well if required. Not all phones in the market have got the processing speed to handle Java midlets such as Opera Mini and Skyfire addresses the wider market of phones. So the Skyfire team can actually hold up their claim that you can open any site on your mobile just like you would on your PC. This is what does wonders for sites such as Youtube, Flickr, Facebook etc.

I am putting it in trial for the moment as it is still launched in beta but I love the initial outlook and approach taken by the developers of it. If speed is what you want, then this one is for you. If Skyfire becomes tabbed and gets a feed reader, I don't need any other browser on my phone.

Get Skyfire from their website. You wont regret it. My websites look good on it also :)

I have got pretty much my whole Internet life on my HTC TyTN II now. This is what I can do on my mobile currently, 

  1. Check Gmail through the Gmail Java Midlet

  2. Check Hotmail & use MSN Messenger through the Windows Live application

  3. Use FRING for IM and VoiceChat with Gtalk, Skype, Yahoo & MSN Messenger contacts

  4. Use Google Maps with the respective Java Midlet (excellent application)

  5. Check all other pop email from the built-in messaging application

  6. Browse through sites like Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube, Wikipedia & Google Search for anything through the Skyfire browser

  7. Read my fellow blogger's feeds through Google Reader on Opera Mobile (need the tabbed browsing advantage while reading blog feeds and commenting)

  8. Read all other news & sports feeds on Opera Mini's built-in feedreader (liked it).

  9. Play RealDice MC Texas Hold-em Poker :$ online (no money involved). Will switch to Facebook's Texas Hold-em soon.

  10. And last and most importantly manage my blogs UTP & UTP's Sports Blog and UTP's SportsTalk Forums.


I don't think I missed anything that I do other than the above online. I am happy and content with my HTC TyTN II. Gets the job done. Alhumdulillah!!


P.S. I am going to be on leave for a little while and be back after my CFA Level 1 exam & EID Vacations. Pray for me and my exams and miss me :) Thanks for sticking around readers. Each one of you means so much.

24 comments:

  1. Just tried it .. its awsomeeeee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best for ur exam ada..InshAllah u'll do great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this i have to try out.
    N good luck for ur cfa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. didn't work.fails to detect my wlan.keeps askin me for access point. :(

    I think i'll just wait a bit more for firefox to come out wid its mobile browser.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @sid - if other browsers work with wlan/wi0fi then this should work also....skyfire will start once your wi-fi is on...dont start it before the connection establishes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, how are you? I'm sorry for not dropping by sooner but life has been absolutely hectic lately. I tried to look into how my webpage displays in mobile browsers. The thing is I'm a mac user. I use iWeb to manage my website, which has almost no user accessibility to html code. Maybe I should start to look into alternative solutions. What do you think of WordPress?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and good luck on your exam and have a blessed Eid. Kol 'Am Wentom Be Kheir! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried Google's new browser, but my laptop's scroll-pad doesn't work with it. It's the same with Firefox. So, IE it has been for me, till now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. goodluck for the exams & eid saeed: )

    ReplyDelete
  10. @amr - thanks mate...I would recommend moving to wordpress as I personally find it very simple to use. Feel free to ask me if you need any help, I would more than willing to help...whatever I know that is heheh...

    @sidhusaaheb - thats pretty lame btw...

    @I walk alone - Pretty good...fingers crossed for results...

    Thanks all for the Eid Wishes...hopefully everyone had a great Eid as well...

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing the information monsieur utp..much appreciated:)
    kindly help me in finding a cracked version of antivirus for using it in S60 smartphones:S

    ReplyDelete
  12. @AN Illusion - hehe...TORRENTS of course...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't find any suitable torrent for that:S
    mininova/isohunt/pirate bay..you name it(6)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @illusion - hmm...in that case...I ll see what I can do...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @An Illusion - Sigh...really sorry :P

    The first hit that comes on google is F-Secure on download.com. I usually trust stuff from download.com.

    NetQin, SimWorks, Kaspersky are other names that came up.

    There are some symbian blogs around like my-symbian.com where I am sure the topic would have been discussed. Hope this is of some use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for the assistance..much appreciated: )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mobile browsers are still kind of crude if you compare it to the desktop browsers we use on PC.";"

    ReplyDelete
  18. mobile browsers would become greatly popular in the next few years*`.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful Info! But I’m getting some trouble trying to load your website. I've got learn it quite a few occasions just before and never gotten something like this, but now when I try and load something it just takes somewhat even though (5-10 minutes ) and then just stops. I hope i don’t have spyware or something. Does anybody know what the issue might be?

    ReplyDelete
  20. i have seen a few mobile browsers and used some of them, they are still a bit slow .::

    ReplyDelete