Pages

Its OK to be Different...

This is a tribute to one of the most influential people in my life...Mrs Parveen Kassim...the principal of Karachi High School...



Not many people would know about this school...but I spent my whole young life there....from nursery...to matric...I entered school when the school originated...my GR NO was 0009. I entered school crying and left school after matric crying but during those 12years ....I had become the man no place other could have made me....and all because of this great lady on a mission....

The simple strategy that Mrs Kassim had...was...to bring out the best in somebody...everybody in this world is not supposed to be a genius in studies....we all are different and each one of us has some role to play...Mrs Kassim took it as a mission to find something in everybody...where the whole of the Schools in Karachi would give up on some child...Karachi High School would take the child with open arms...and Mrs Kassim would make sure she takes the challenge on making them useful in their lives...find their goal...find their strength. It could be sport, singing, you name it....Mrs Kassim was ok...if a child comes out and does something he likes to do...studies follow with confidence and attention gained...from that special gift that he had got...she was strict and yet loving...she was the principal and yet she was like a mother...

Trust me the strategy was difficult and looks crude on paper as I write but it required patience and....lots of it...Allah had given her that at the time. I have heard people today complain about the school not having the same standard...but I would say she is only human and with age and health...its difficult to maintain that same patience level...that she once had....

I only wish we could see someone take the torch that she lit, and made some very dim futures so bright, and take it forward with the same energy and vigour...as she had...

Do u know where I picked up the topic of my post...? This is a sticker that still sticks on to the door of my beloved principal...it did when I studied....and it is still there...as I went a few months back...to meet her....The door doesn't have the Principal's name ....it says...IT'S OK TO BE DIFFERENT....

That's what a frustrated and dejected parent and their kid see when they first enter the principal's office and that's the lesson I preach which I learnt from one of the greatest teachers that I have been acquainted with...

Salutations Mrs Kassim, this one is for you...

1 comment:

  1. [...] while writing this post, I just remembered my school principal and with that the famous line “It’s OK to be different…” which is on her office door. You read it while you enter into her office. I have already written [...]

    ReplyDelete