Pages

Zahid ka Hasil-e-Eeman

Zahid is a common term used in many qawwali's, Urdu poetry and generally in the concept of bringing the "devotee" to religion, to love, to divine, in general the good guy. This usually when the poet calls himself the sinner, the bad guy in comparison.

A famous piece of poetry which Abida Parveen has sung from Raqs-e-Bismil goes something like...

"Zahid nay mera Hasil-e-Eeman nahi dekha... rukh par teri zulfon ko pareshan nahi dekha..."
Zahid hasn't seen the result of my faith, he hasn't seen how the confusion of the hair on your face. Indicating, that confusion, because of me itself is an achievement to my life of faith. The set of poetry that follows is further elaboration but that's not the point of my post.

On 3rd July, my cousin, Zahid Suleman Memon, was mugged. He resisted and the robbers shot him dead. He was the 3rd of 4 sons for my Khala (aunt). He was just 1 year out of Indus Valley School of Arts and was a budding Architect. He was a cyclist as well and generally a optimistic person. Most people in their social media tributes remembered him as somebody who was always smiling.

When I visited Pakistan this Eid, we visited Khala. The family was there and we tried to remember Zahid trying to help find closure for everybody involved. Needless to say, it was a difficult situation for everybody, shocking for me, devastating for the brothers, mother and father. Everybody trying to find peace in one way or another, a truly unfortunate incident which all of us will remember for times to come. At each happy and sad moment, we will remember Zahid.

I am a strong believer in everything happens for a reason. Everybody has a purpose in this life. When that purpose is served, he goes. During the time since I heard the news and all that has followed since then and as I sit here, writing this post, I was trying to find what purpose did Zahid's unfortunate passing away serve. I thought of naming this post, Zahid ka Hasil-e-Eemaan (Zahid's result of his Faith).

So what did Zahid's unforeseen death achieve?

My Khala summarized it well, treasure every moment. If you want to say I love you to somebody, don't wait till tomorrow, say it. If you have hurt somebody and you realize, don't wait till tomorrow to say sorry. Make up with family friends for life is too short and it surprises you.

My grandma used to say, "Samaan hay sau baras ka, pal kee khabar nahi" (We are collecting things we need for 100 years when we are not aware of what will happen the next second). So true is that. Zahid's death has made my brother realize priorities. He graduated in the same batch as Zahid, they were close. For me, I see both of them standing next to each other, it could have easily been him. But it was Zahid. I think my brother is talking like a different person since the event. He surely has re-thought his priorities in life, may Allah help him.

For me, I totally was shell-shocked when I heard it. I didn't know how to react. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to console, condole. I didn't know how to deal with it myself. I had to write something to find some closure. But an after-thought has made me realize, that I need to value the truly important things in life. Its natural to become materialistic in this material world. I am guilty of the same. Zahid's Hasil-e-Eeman for me is helping make me realize, there are more important things in life that I should prioritize first. There are lots of things that can go down in importance. Things which give me stress, make me forget and take me away from reality.

Such is the state of affairs. Death is the only truth, some go early, some go late. But all go. This all will end. Maybe soon, maybe later but it is inevitable. Why not spend time on something that is more worthwhile. Who knows, if tomorrow comes or not? What if tomorrow is worse than today? What if today is all there is?

In the daily rut of life, we forget. We take health, life for granted. When in reality, nothing is for granted. This is something that we have borrowed, we will need to return. We should make good use of life. The best use of life is to live for others. Zahid displayed this well. May Allah grant him the highest positions in Jannah, may Allah give his close family members, us, patience to deal with this sad reality. Aameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment