Pages

The Social Media De-Clutter Project

After getting into the rut like everybody else into creating social media profiles all over the place, recently I have got into cutting this back at bit. What I realized was that over a period of time, what has resulted in all that was me glaring in front of a screen (mobile, tablet or laptop) and let content be thrown on to me by all the various social media sites. Without actively searching for content I wanted to read at a particular time, this was just such a waste of my energy and time.

I got to so many profiles that it was impossible to make use of this in the 24-hour day. See the "About me" section and "Follow Me" link for all profiles.

I have personally initiated a declutter project since last year. Here is how it went and where I am.

I have deleted by Facebook Profile. Yes, its true. facebook.com/umarpirzada is no longer. It was pretty easy. I took a backup, I don't know why but probably that's linked to withdrawal symptoms. Then I converted it to a Facebook page and then I set up the page for deletion. This is called burning the boats. In a 14 days time (now only 7 left) the page gets deleted and end of story.

It is a long way to go as I still have accounts on Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. I got facebook pages, blogs also.

So, I sat down and mindmapped my thoughts on how I use the various Social Media platforms today. Here is what I got.



Next I started reviewing, if I wanted to continue doing with what I did i.e. if the objectives remain the same. They did. So next I started re-arranging and connecting my objectives to the tools with the objective being to reduce the tools.

Facebook Profile went off as I am going to use Google+ for it. People who want to connect with me can connect via Google+ and I will do the same. Moreover, the closer friends, I am connected via whatsapp for more instant messaging. For connecting with Family, again, I got whatsapp.

I have rationalized my Twitter account usage also meaning, unfollowing accounts whose feeds I am not interested in. Considering, I am going to stay connected with friends through Google+ and with family via Hangouts or Skype, I don't need to follow them on Twitter. Moreover, I am going to get back to using Flipboard a lot more, I don't know why I stopped. This means realistically, I can set up topics to cover all my news updates, what do I need Twitter for then. Yeah, I have narrowed it down to use Twitter only for getting my opinion across.

For professional networking, I am going to keep it separate from everything else and use LinkedIn.

For getting my opinion across, I will use Twitter, Blogger and my UTP Facebook Page. The latter is also a consolidation of everything I publish. While not perfect yet, but I think I should be able to get some time out and bring more structure to using the various social media platforms. Using less of Twitter & Facebook for mindless feed updates, I have made the first move to Flipboard.

Here is how my desired mindmap looks now. Lets see how I progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment